1. Those who disbelieve [in the Oneness of Allāh, and in the Message of Prophet Muhammad ], and hinder (men) from the Path of Allāh (Islāmic Monotheism), He will render their deeds vain .
2. But those who believe and do righteous good deeds, and believe in that which is sent down to Muhammad (), for it is the truth from their Lord, He will expiate from them their sins, and will make good their state.
3. That is because those who disbelieve follow falsehood, while those who believe follow the truth from their Lord. Thus does Allāh set forth their parables for mankind.
4. So, when you meet (in fight Jihād in Allāh's Cause), those who disbelieve smite at their necks till when you have killed and wounded many of them, then bind a bond firmly (on them, i.e. take them as captives). Thereafter (is the time) either for generosity (i.e. free them without ransom), or ransom (according to what benefits Islām), until the war lays down its burden. Thus [you are ordered by Allāh to continue in carrying out Jihād against the disbelievers till they embrace Islām (i.e. are saved from the punishment in the Hell-fire) or at least come under your protection], but if it had been Allāh's Will, He Himself could certainly have punished them (without you). But (He lets you fight), in order to test you, some with others. But those who are killed in the Way of Allāh, He will never let their deeds be lost,
5. He will guide them and set right their state.
6. And admit them to Paradise which He has made known to them (i.e. they will know their places in Paradise more than they used to know their houses in the world).
7. O you who believe! If you help (in the cause of) Allāh, He will help you, and make your foothold firm.
8. But those who disbelieve (in the Oneness of Allāh Islāmic Monotheism), for them is destruction, and (Allāh) will make their deeds vain.
9. That is because they hate that which Allāh has sent down (this Qur'ān and Islāmic laws, etc.), so He has made their deeds fruitless.
10. Have they not travelled through the earth, and seen what was the end of those before them? Allāh destroyed them completely and a similar (fate awaits) the disbelievers.
11. That is because Allāh is the Maula (Lord, Master, Helper, Protector, etc.) of those who believe, and the disbelievers have no Maula (lord, master, helper, protector, etc.).
12. Certainly! Allāh will admit those who believe (in the Oneness of Allāh Islāmic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds, to Gardens under which rivers flow (Paradise), while those who disbelieve enjoy themselves and eat as cattle eat, and the Fire will be their abode.
13. And many a town, stronger than your town (Makkah) (O Muhammad ) which has driven you out We have destroyed. And there was none to help them.
14. Is he who is on a clear proof from his Lord, like those for whom their evil deeds that they do are beautified for them, while they follow their own lusts (evil desires)?
15. The description of Paradise which the Muttaqūn (pious - see V.2:2) have been promised is that in it are rivers of water the taste and smell of which are not changed; rivers of milk of which the taste never changes; rivers of wine delicious to those who drink; and rivers of clarified honey (clear and pure) therein for them is every kind of fruit; and forgiveness from their Lord. (Are these) like those who shall dwell for ever in the Fire, and be given, to drink, boiling water, so that it cuts up their bowels?
16. And among them are some who listen to you (O Muhammad ) till, when they go out from you, they say to those who have received knowledge: "What has he said just now? Such are men whose hearts Allāh has sealed, and they follow their lusts (evil desires).
17. While as for those who accept guidance, He increases their guidance, and bestows on them their piety.
18. Do they then await (anything) other than the Hour, that it should come upon them suddenly? But some of its portents (indications and signs) have already come, and when it (actually) is on them, how can they benefit then by their reminder?
19. So know (O Muhammad ) that Lā ilāha ill-Allāh (none has the right to be worshipped but Allāh), and ask forgiveness for your sin, and also for (the sin of) believing men and believing women. And Allāh knows well your moving about, and your place of rest (in your homes).
20. Those who believe say: "Why is not a Sūrah (chapter of the Qur'ān) sent down (for us)? But when a decisive Sūrah (explaining and ordering things) is sent down, and fighting (Jihād holy fighting in Allāh's Cause) is mentioned (i.e. ordained) therein, you will see those in whose hearts is a disease (of hypocrisy) looking at you with a look of one fainting to death. But it was better for them (hypocrites, to listen to Allāh and to obey Him).
21. Obedience (to Allāh) and good words (were better for them). And when the matter (preparation for Jihād) is resolved on, then if they had been true to Allāh, it would have been better for them.
22. Would you then, if you were given the authority, do mischief in the land, and sever your ties of kinship?
23. Such are they whom Allāh has cursed, so that He has made them deaf and blinded their sight.
24. Do they not then think deeply in the Qur'ān, or are their hearts locked up (from understanding it)?
25. Verily, those who have turned back (have apostated) as disbelievers after the guidance has been manifested to them, Shaitān (Satan) has beautified for them (their false hopes), and (Allāh) prolonged their term (age).
26. This is because they said to those who hate what Allāh has sent down: "We will obey you in part of the matter," but Allāh knows their secrets.
27. Then how (will it be) when the angels will take their souls at death, smiting their faces and their backs?
28. That is because they followed that which angered Allāh, and hated that which pleased Him. So He made their deeds fruitless.
29. Or do those in whose hearts is a disease (of hypocrisy), think that Allāh will not bring to light all their hidden ill-wills?
30. Had We willed, We could have shown them to you, and you should have known them by their marks, but surely, you will know them by the tone of their speech! And Allāh knows all your deeds.
31. And surely, We shall try you till We test those who strive hard (for the Cause of Allāh) and the patient ones, and We shall test your facts (i.e. the one who is a liar, and the one who is truthful).
32. Verily, those who disbelieve, and hinder (men) from the Path of Allāh (i.e. Islām), and oppose the Messenger ( ) (by standing against him and hurting him), after the guidance has been clearly shown to them, they will not hurt Allāh in the least, but He will make their deeds fruitless,
33. O you who believe! Obey Allāh, and obey the Messenger (Muhammad ) and render not vain your deeds.
34. Verily, those who disbelieve, and hinder (men) from the Path of Allāh (i.e. Islām); then die while they are disbelievers, Allāh will not forgive them.
35. So be not weak and ask not for peace (from the enemies of Islām), while you are having the upper hand. Allāh is with you, and will never decrease the reward of your good deeds.
36. The life of this world is but play and pastime, but if you believe (in the Oneness of Allāh Islāmic Monotheism), and fear Allāh, and avoid evil, He will grant you your wages, and will not ask you your wealth.
37. If He were to ask you of it, and press you, you would covetously withhold, and He will bring out all your (secret) ill-wills.
38. Behold! You are those who are called to spend in the Cause of Allāh, yet among you are some who are niggardly. And whoever is niggardly, it is only at the expense of his ownself. But Allāh is Rich (Free of all wants), and you (mankind) are poor. And if you turn away (from Islām and the obedience of Allāh), He will exchange you for some other people, and they will not be your likes.