1. O you who believe! Do not put (yourselves) forward before Allāh and His Messenger (), and fear Allāh. Verily! Allāh is All-Hearing, All-Knowing.
2. O you who believe! Raise not your voices above the voice of the Prophet (), nor speak aloud to him in talk as you speak aloud to one another, lest your deeds may be rendered fruitless while you perceive not.
3. Verily! Those who lower their voices in the presence of Allāh's Messenger (), they are the ones whose hearts Allāh has tested for piety. For them is forgiveness and a great reward.
4. Verily! Those who call you from behind the dwellings, most of them have no sense.
5. And if they had patience till you could come out to them, it would have been better for them. And Allāh is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
6. O you who believe! If a rebellious evil person comes to you with a news, verify it, lest you harm people in ignorance, and afterwards you become regretful to what you have done.
7. And know that, among you there is the Messenger of Allāh (). If he were to obey you (i.e. follow your opinions and desires) in much of the matter, you would surely be in trouble, but Allāh has endeared the Faith to you and has beautified it in your hearts, and has made disbelief, wickedness and disobedience (to Allāh and His Messenger ) hateful to you. These! They are the rightly guided ones,
8. (This is) a Grace from Allāh and His Favour. And Allāh is All-Knowing, All-Wise.
9. And if two parties or groups among the believers fall to fighting, then make peace between them both, but if one of them rebels against the other, then fight you (all) against the one that which rebels till it complies with the Command of Allāh; then if it complies, then make reconciliation between them justly, and be equitable. Verily! Allāh loves those who are equitable.
10. The believers are nothing else than brothers (in Islāmic religion). So make reconciliation between your brothers, and fear Allāh, that you may receive mercy.
11. O you who believe! Let not a group scoff at another group, it may be that the latter are better than the former; nor let (some) women scoff at other women, it may be that the latter are better than the former, nor defame one another, nor insult one another by nicknames. How bad is it, to insult one's brother after having Faith [i.e. to call your Muslim brother (a faithful believer) as: "O sinner", or "O wicked", etc.]. And whosoever does not repent, then such are indeed Zālimūn (wrong-doers, etc.).
12. O you who believe! Avoid much suspicions, indeed some suspicions are sins. And spy not, neither backbite one another. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? You would hate it (so hate backbiting) . And fear Allāh. Verily, Allāh is the One Who accepts repentance, Most Merciful.
13. O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honourable of you with Allāh is that (believer) who has At-Taqwa [i.e. one of the Muttaqūn (pious - see V.2:2)]. Verily, Allāh is All-Knowing, All-Aware.
14. The bedouins say: "We believe." Say: "You believe not but you only say, 'We have surrendered (in Islām),' for Faith has not yet entered your hearts. But if you obey Allāh and His Messenger (), He will not decrease anything in reward for your deeds. Verily, Allāh is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."
15. Only those are the believers who have believed in Allāh and His Messenger, and afterward doubt not but strive with their wealth and their lives for the Cause of Allāh. Those! They are the truthful.
16. Say: "Will you inform Allāh about your religion? While Allāh knows all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth, and Allāh is All-Aware of everything.
17. They regard as favour upon you (O Muhammad ) that they have embraced Islām. Say: "Count not your Islām as a favour upon me. Nay, but Allāh has conferred a favour upon you, that He has guided you to the Faith, if you indeed are true.
18. Verily, Allāh knows the unseen of the heavens and the earth. And Allāh is the All-Seer of what you do.